A lot of people are often confused about the differences between Cervix and Vagina, but not anymore. In this post, you will learn about the top 5 differences between Cervix vs Vagina.
Let’s take a look:
The main difference between the cervix and the vagina is their specific roles and functions within the female reproductive system. The cervix acts as a gatekeeper, with a small opening that regulates the passage of menstrual blood and sperm, while the vagina is a dynamic and expandable canal that facilitates intercourse, childbirth and serves as a passageway for menstrual blood.
Before we move to the differences, let’s understand what are Cervix and Vagina:
- Cervix: The cervix is the lower, narrow end of the uterus that connects the uterus to the vagina. It is a small, cylindrical shaped organ that sits at the top of the vaginal canal.
- Vagina: The vagina is a muscular canal that connects the uterus to the outside of the body. It is a flexible, elastic tube that can expand and contract and is the passageway for menstrual blood and babies during birth.
Top 5 differences between Cervix and Vagina
Now, let’s move to Cervix vs Vagina:
|The cervix produces cervical mucus which changes throughout the menstrual cycle.||The vagina produces natural lubrication.|
|The cervix is the location where a pap smear is taken.||The vagina is the location where a pelvic exam is performed.|
|The cervix can be affected by cervical cancer.||The vagina is not typically affected by cancer.|
|The cervix can be affected by cervical dysplasia, which is abnormal cell growth on the cervix.||The vagina is not typically affected by dysplasia.|
|The cervix can be stitched closed during a procedure called cervical cerclage to prevent preterm birth.||The vagina cannot be stitched closed.|
Are there any similarities between Cervix and Vagina?
There are a few similarities between the cervix and the vagina. Both are part of the female reproductive system and are located in the pelvic area. Additionally, both are covered by a mucous membrane, which produces natural lubrication.
- Differences Between Breast Augmentation and Breast Reconstruction
- Differences Between Anal Sex and Vaginal Sex
- Differences Between Masturbation and Sex
I hope this article has helped clear up any confusion you had about Cervix and Vagina.
If you still have a related query, feel free to let me know in the comments below.