Want to be the captain of your own sexual pleasure? Look no further than the magnificent Pretzel Sex Position!
According to Rachel Worthington, a sex writer, educator, and sex toy reviewer at Bedbible, the Pretzel Dip sex position can be a game-changing alternative for individuals who desire the deep penetration of doggy style but also crave the intimacy of seeing their partner’s face. It’s also ideal for those who may not be flexible enough for deeper missionary-style positions such as the Hook.
Get ready for an exciting adventure in the bedroom! The Pretzel sex position is a must-try for anyone who wants to add some spark to their intimate moments. It’s perfect for both experienced lovers and those just starting out.
We’ve got all the tips and tricks to make your experience even more amazing. So, let’s heat things up and have some fun!
What is the Pretzel sex position?
The Pretzel sex position is a way of having sex where both partners intertwine their bodies in a tight knot, with one partner being penetrated while lying slightly on their side. The partner penetrating straddles the bottom thigh of the receiving partner, facing forward and kneeling between their legs with their hands free, allowing for intense eye contact and intimate touching.
The position is great for exploring penetration from a new angle and is suitable for penile to vaginal, penile to anal, or strap-on to vaginal or anal sex.
|Alternate name(s)||Camel ride, Sideways scissor, Twisted kneeling scissors|
|Position type(s)||Kneeling, Right angle|
|Petting||Breasts touching, Hand clitoris stimulation|
**Impressiveness: This refers to how visually impressive or exciting the position is. This ranges from 1 (not impressive at all) to 10 (extremely impressive).
***Romanticness: This refers to how romantic or intimate the position is. This ranges from 1 (not romantic at all) to 10 (extremely romantic).
Advantages and disadvantages
Advantages of Pretzel position
- Promotes intimacy: As both partners are entwined together, there is plenty of physical contact, and the position promotes intimacy and connection between partners.
- Allows for deep penetration: This position allows for deep penetration and may be pleasurable for both partners.
- Suitable for lesbian sex: The position can be used for lesbian sex, as it allows for penetration while still maintaining a face-to-face position.
Disadvantages of Pretzel position
- May require flexibility: Some partners may not be flexible enough to perform this position comfortably, leading to discomfort or even injury.
- Challenging to maintain: The position can be difficult to maintain for a prolonged period, and partners may find themselves shifting or losing the position during sex.
- May not be suitable for pregnancy: This position may not be suitable for pregnant partners, particularly in the later stages of pregnancy, due to the pressure on the belly and potential discomfort.
How to do Pretzel sex position?
- Get into receiving position: The receiving partner should lie on their side and bend their top leg, with the knee pointing to the ceiling.
- Get into penetrating position: The penetrating partner should straddle the receiving partner’s bottom thigh and get into a raised kneeling position.
- Wrap the legs: The penetrating partner’s bottom thigh should wrap around the receiving partner’s bottom thigh, while the receiving partner’s top leg wraps around the penetrating partner’s waist.
- Penetrate: From this position, the penetrating partner can enter the receiving partner for sex.
- Adjust as necessary: Both partners should adjust their positions as needed for comfort and pleasure, and can also engage in intimate touching and eye contact.
What the man does in the Pretzel position
Role in the position
In the Pretzel sex position, the man has the role of the penetrating partner. He needs to straddle his partner’s bottom thigh while kneeling between her legs and penetrate her. Once he is in position, he can put his hands on the bed or on his partner’s waist or leg. He can use his hands to support his weight and to steady himself during thrusting.
Supports the woman
As the Pretzel is a position where the couple’s bodies are entwined in a tight knot, the man needs to be careful not to put his weight on his partner. He should make sure that he is supporting his own weight and not squashing his partner. The man can support the woman by placing his free hand on her back or hip, keeping her close to him and maintaining the intimacy of the position.
Stimulates the woman
The Pretzel sex position provides ample opportunity for the man to stimulate his partner’s erogenous zones. As he penetrates her, he can use his free hand to touch her breasts, clitoris, or other sensitive areas of her body. The position also allows for intense eye contact and kissing, which can enhance the intimacy of the experience. The man can use his body weight to grind slowly and intimately on his partner, exploring different angles and depths of penetration to create a more intense and pleasurable experience for both partners.
What the woman does in the Pretzel position
Role in the position
The woman’s role in the Pretzel sex position is to lie on her side and slightly lift her top leg, while the bottom leg remains straight. The woman can also wrap her top leg around her partner’s waist to allow for deeper penetration.
Controlling the depth and pace of penetration
The woman can control the depth and pace of penetration by adjusting the position of her legs and hips. By lifting or lowering her top leg, the woman can control the angle and depth of penetration. If she wants slower, more gentle sex, she can guide her partner to grind on her rather than thrusting in and out.
Touching herself or her partner
The woman can touch herself while in the Pretzel sex position to enhance her pleasure. She can use one hand to touch and massage her clitoris while her partner penetrates her. If she is comfortable with it, she can also use her other hand to touch and stimulate her partner’s genitals.
Likeness for the position
Do men like the Pretzel sex position?
The answer to whether guys like the Pretzel position is subjective and depends on individual preferences.
Some men may find it to be an incredibly intimate and pleasurable position due to the intense eye contact and physical closeness it offers. This position allows for deep penetration and can be very satisfying for both partners.
However, some men may not enjoy this position as much if they prefer more traditional positions or if they are not flexible enough to hold the pose comfortably. Some men may also find it difficult to maintain the pose for an extended period of time or may feel that the angle of penetration is not as satisfying as it is in other positions.
Do women like the Pretzel sex position?
Again, the answer to whether women like the Pretzel position is subjective and depends on individual preferences.
Some women may enjoy the deep penetration and intense eye contact that the position allows for, while others may find it uncomfortable or difficult to maintain. Additionally, factors such as physical flexibility and body size may also impact a woman’s experience of the position.
That being said, some women may appreciate the close physical contact and intimacy that the pretzel sex position can offer. The position can also be a good choice for women who enjoy clitoral stimulation during penetration, as it allows for easy access to the clitoris for self-stimulation or for their partner to provide manual stimulation. The position can also be a good option for women who enjoy slower, more sensual sex, as it allows for grinding and slower thrusting.
Ultimately, sexual preferences are personal and can vary greatly between individuals. It is important to discuss what positions you both enjoy and are comfortable with to ensure a positive sexual experience.
How to master Pretzel position
Mastering the Pretzel sex position involves a combination of technique, comfort, and communication between partners. Here are a few tips to help you master this position:
- Stretch beforehand: This position requires some flexibility, so you may want to stretch your legs and hips before getting into the position.
- Dominate or be dominated: The position allows for some domination play if you’re into that, as the partner on top has control and can hold their partner’s leg or hair. But if that’s not your thing, you can also switch it up and have the bottom partner in control.
- Experiment with angles: The position may feel different at different angles, so try adjusting your body to find the angle that feels best for you.
- Communicate with your partner: Make sure to communicate with your partner throughout the experience, to ensure that you both are comfortable and enjoying yourselves.
- Add some kink: If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try adding some kink to the position by using restraints or blindfolds.
With these tips, you and your partner can work together to master the Pretzel position and enjoy the many benefits it has to offer.
Tips and tricks to spice up the experience
Here are 3 ways to spice up the Pretzel position:
- Take turns: If one partner is always the receiver in the Pretzel position, switch roles and take turns being the penetrating partner. This can add a new level of excitement and power dynamics to the experience.
- Mix it up with other positions: Adding in other sex positions can keep things exciting and unpredictable. Try transitioning from the Pretzel position to another favorite position, like reverse cowgirl or doggy style.
- Incorporate sex toys: Using a vibrator or dildo can add extra stimulation and pleasure for both partners. The penetrating partner can use a vibrating cock ring or a textured dildo to enhance the sensation of the position.
Health and safety considerations
While the Pretzel sex position offers numerous benefits and allows for more control and customization, it’s essential to consider the physical, emotional, and safety considerations that come with this position.
- Hip injury: The Pretzel position involves significant twisting and contortion of the hips, which can put strain on the hip joints. Move slowly and carefully during this position to avoid injuring yourself or your partner.
- Strain on the back: The Pretzel position can be physically demanding, and may cause strain on the back. This is especially true for the penetrating partner, who will be supporting their weight on their arms and shoulders for an extended period of time. To avoid back strain, maintain good posture and take breaks when needed.
- Discomfort or pain during penetration: Depending on the angle and depth of penetration, the Pretzel position may cause discomfort or even pain for the receiving partner. Communicate with your partner and adjust the angle and depth of penetration as needed to avoid causing discomfort or injury.
- Emotional release: The intensity of the Pretzel position can sometimes lead to emotional release, including tears or other forms of catharsis. Be supportive of your partner if this happens, and to check in with them afterwards to ensure that they are feeling emotionally supported and safe.
- Intimacy: The Pretzel position can be a highly intimate and intense experience, which may require partners to be more emotionally vulnerable than they are used to. Be open and communicative with your partner in order to build a deeper connection during the experience.
- Body image: As with any sexual position, body image can be a concern for some people. The Pretzel position can be particularly revealing, as it requires the receiving partner to contort their body in certain ways. Remember that all bodies are beautiful and to focus on the pleasure of the experience rather than any perceived flaws.
- Avoid Overexertion: The Pretzel position can be physically demanding for both partners, especially if they are holding the pose for an extended period. Avoid overexertion and take breaks if you feel tired or uncomfortable.
- Keep the Area Clear: The Pretzel position can require a lot of movement and shifting, which can lead to knocking over objects or tripping over items on the floor. Make sure the area is clear of any hazards to prevent injury.
- Watch Your Head: In the Pretzel position, the receiving partner may be at risk of hitting their head against the headboard or wall. Make sure to have a cushion or pillow behind your head to prevent any injury.
Variations of Pretzel position
The Pretzel position can be varied in several ways to create new and exciting experiences for both partners. Some common modifications of Pretzel sex position include:
- Seated Pretzel: In this variation, the receiving partner sits on the edge of a bed or chair and raises one leg, while the penetrating partner stands in front and supports the receiving partner’s raised leg with one arm. This variation can be great for those who prefer a more intimate and face-to-face position.
- Reverse Pretzel: In this variation, the receiving partner lies on their back and raises one leg, while the penetrating partner straddles the receiving partner’s raised leg and enters from above. This variation can offer a different angle of penetration and can be a great option for those who find the original Pretzel position uncomfortable.
- Half Pretzel: In this variation, the receiving partner lies on their side and raises one leg, while the penetrating partner kneels or stands behind and enters from behind. This variation can be a great option for those who find the original Pretzel position too intense or uncomfortable.
It is important to communicate with your partner about what feels good and what modifications work best for both of you.
Similar sex positions to try
1. Why is this sex position called Pretzel?
The Pretzel sex position gets its name from the way the bodies of the partners are intertwined and twisted around each other, which resembles the shape of a pretzel. The receiving partner’s legs are folded up and over the penetrating partner’s shoulder, while their torso is twisted to one side, with one arm extended behind them and the other arm resting on the bed or floor for support. The penetrating partner’s legs are crossed and intertwined with the receiving partner’s legs, while their torso is twisted in the opposite direction, with one arm wrapped around the receiving partner’s waist and the other arm supporting them on the bed or floor. The resulting shape of their bodies is similar to that of a pretzel, hence the name.
2. Is Pretzel sex position safe during pregnancy?
The Pretzel sex position may not be the safest choice for pregnant individuals due to the twisting and contorting of the body that is involved.
As the position requires one partner to lie on their side and the other partner to straddle their thigh, it can put pressure on the pregnant partner’s uterus and pelvic region, which may cause discomfort or pain. Additionally, as the position requires the pregnant partner to bend their leg at the knee, it may cause strain on their back and hips.
During pregnancy, it is important to be mindful of positions that may be uncomfortable or pose a risk to the growing fetus. And if you’re feeling any kind of discomfort during Pretzel, consult with a doctor to ensure that the sexual activity is safe for you and your baby.
3. Can you get pregnant in Pretzel sex position?
Yes, pregnancy is possible in the Pretzel sex position or any other sexual position. Pregnancy occurs when sperm fertilizes an egg, and this can happen regardless of the sexual position.
You can use contraception if you do not wish to become pregnant.
- Jameson, Sean. “Pretzel Sex Position.” Bad Girls Bible, 24 Mar. 2021, https://badgirlsbible.com/pretzel-sex-position.
- Contributors, WebMD. “What Is the Pretzel Sex Position?” WebMD, https://www.webmd.com/sex/what-is-pretzel-sex-position. Accessed 18 Feb. 2023.
- Ferrari, S., Vanti, C., Frigau, L., Guccione, A. A., Mola, F., Ruggeri, M., Pillastrini, P., & Monticone, M. (2019). Sexual disability in patients with chronic non-specific low back pain-a multicenter retrospective analysis. Journal of physical therapy science, 31(4), 360–365. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.31.360
- Beverton-Palmer, Alice. “How to Do ‘the Pretzel’ Sex Position, for Extreme Intimacy.” Women’s Health, 19 May 2022, https://www.womenshealthmag.co.uk/health/sexual-health/a701335/the-best-sex-positions-ever-the-pretzel/.
- Krejčová, L., Kuba, R., Flegr, J., & Klapilová, K. (2020). Kamasutra in Practice: The Use of Sexual Positions in the Czech Population and Their Association With Female Coital Orgasm Potential. Sexual medicine, 8(4), 767–776. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esxm.2020.07.003