Want to be the captain of your own sexual pleasure? Look no further than the magnificent Helicopter Sex Position!
“The Helicopter position is not for the faint of heart. It’s one of those ‘do it because you (maybe) can’ positions, on the same list as other hard-to-do moves like standing 69 and these possibly impossible maneuvers that are for the very adventurous, athletic and brave,” says Goody Howard, resident sex educator for Royal.
Get ready for an exciting adventure in the bedroom! The Helicopter sex position is a must-try for anyone who wants to add some spark to their intimate moments. It’s perfect for both experienced lovers and those just starting out.
We’ve got all the tips and tricks to make your experience even more amazing. So, let’s heat things up and have some fun!
What is the Helicopter sex position?
The Helicopter sex position is a unique and exotic position where the male partner hovers in a plank position while penetrating their female partner from above.
This position allows for sensual leg caresses, which can help inflame passion.
|Alternate name(s)||Bumper cars, Plank position|
|Position type(s)||Anal sex, Man on top, Reverse|
|Stimulation||A-spot stimulation, G-spot stimulation|
|Petting||Holding her buttocks|
**Impressiveness: This refers to how visually impressive or exciting the position is. This ranges from 1 (not impressive at all) to 10 (extremely impressive).
***Romanticness: This refers to how romantic or intimate the position is. This ranges from 1 (not romantic at all) to 10 (extremely romantic).
Advantages and disadvantages
Advantages of Helicopter position
- Unique angle of entry: The Helicopter sex position allows for a unique angle of entry, which can stimulate the sensitive head of the penis and may feel extra good for the penetrating partner.
- Mentally stimulating: The challenge of performing the Helicopter position can make it mentally stimulating for couples and make them feel adventurous and experimental.
- Outside comfort zone: Trying new things and stepping outside of one’s comfort zone can be a great way to spice up a couple’s sex life.
Disadvantages of Helicopter position
- Challenging: The Helicopter sex position can be difficult to perform and requires significant upper body strength from the penetrating partner.
- Potential for injury: If performed incorrectly or without enough support, there is a risk of injury for both partners.
- Can take practice: It may take time and practice to perfect the Helicopter sex position, which may not be ideal for couples looking for a quick and easy position.
How to do Helicopter sex position?
- Get prepared: This position requires patience and practice. It’s a good idea to try it with clothes on first to get a feel for how your bodies will need to operate, getting your form right without worrying about penetration yet.
- Position the partner being penetrated: The receiving partner gets onto their hands and knees and then lowers down to their elbows.
- Position the penetrating partner: The penetrating partner gets next to the receiving partner, with hips aligned, either on the left or right side, with their head facing towards their partner’s feet. With their hands on the ground away from their partner’s feet, the penetrating partner lifts their legs over their partner’s butt to insert their penis or strap-on into their partner’s vagina or anus, while their legs stay up in the air.
- Hold the position: In this position, the penetrating partner will be resting their pelvis on the receiving partner’s butt, and their arms will be in a push-up position, holding up their body weight.
- Enjoy the experience: This position is mentally stimulating and great for those who want to try something new and adventurous in the bedroom.
What the man does in the Helicopter position
Role in the position
In the Helicopter sex position, the man’s role is to penetrate the woman while holding his body weight with his arms. He needs to be careful not to strain his suspensory ligaments, which can cause injury.
Supports the woman
To support the woman, the man should align his hips with hers, either on the left or right side, with his head facing towards her feet. He should use his hands to lift his legs over her butt and insert his penis or strap-on into her vagina or anus, while keeping his legs up in the air. This will allow him to rest his pelvis on her butt, while his arms are in a push-up position holding up his body weight.
Stimulates the woman
To stimulate the woman, the man should adjust his thrusting motion and speed to her preferences. He can either move his entire body or just use his hips to thrust in and out. He should also communicate with her to understand what feels good and what doesn’t. Additionally, he can use his hands to stimulate her breasts, clitoris, or other erogenous zones if she desires. It is important for him to stay attentive and responsive to her body language and verbal cues to ensure a pleasurable experience for both partners.
What the woman does in the Helicopter position
Role in the position
In the Helicopter sex position, the woman’s role is to stay still while the man gets into position and enters her. Once he is comfortable thrusting, she can begin to gently gyrate her hips, which can add extra sensation and pleasure for both partners. Avoid thrusting, as the position doesn’t allow for deep penetration and it can cause the man to slip out.
Controlling the depth and pace of penetration
The woman can control the depth and pace of penetration by adjusting the angle of her hips and the tightness of her vaginal muscles. This can help to increase or decrease the sensation for both partners. She can also communicate with her partner about what feels good and what doesn’t, and guide him with verbal or nonverbal cues.
Touching herself or her partner
As for touching herself or her partner, the woman can explore her body and stimulate herself manually or with a toy if desired. She can also touch her partner’s body and engage in other forms of sexual play or stimulation, such as kissing, caressing, or nipple play.
Likeness for the position
Do men like the Helicopter sex position?
The answer to whether guys like the Helicopter position is subjective and depends on individual preferences.
However, some men may find the Helicopter sex position exciting due to its novelty and challenge. It’s an acrobatic position that requires balance, strength, and coordination, making it a bit of a thrill ride. Additionally, the position can create a sense of deep penetration, which may feel good for some men.
That being said, the Helicopter sex position is not for everyone, and some men may not enjoy it due to the physical demands of the position or simply personal preference.
Do women like the Helicopter sex position?
Again, the answer to whether women like the Helicopter position is subjective and depends on individual preferences.
That being said, some women may enjoy the novelty and adventurous nature of the position, as well as the intense intimacy it can provide.
However, this position can be quite physically demanding and may require a fair amount of flexibility and strength, so it may not be comfortable or enjoyable for everyone. Additionally, the position may not allow for very deep penetration, which may not be satisfying for some women.
Ultimately, sexual preferences are personal and can vary greatly between individuals. It is important to discuss what positions you both enjoy and are comfortable with to ensure a positive sexual experience.
How to master Helicopter position
Mastering the Helicopter sex position involves a combination of technique, comfort, and communication between partners. Here are a few tips to help you master this position:
- Practice proper form: The Helicopter sex position requires both partners to have good balance and flexibility, so it’s important to practice proper form and positioning to prevent injury and maximize pleasure. You can try practicing with clothes on first to get a feel for the positioning and movement.
- Strengthen your core: This position requires a lot of core strength to maintain balance and support your body weight. Consider doing exercises like planks, sit-ups, and bridges to help strengthen your core muscles.
- Communicate with your partner: Communication is key in any sexual encounter, but especially in a position like the Helicopter where both partners need to be in sync. Be sure to discuss things like depth and pace of penetration, comfort levels, and any adjustments that need to be made.
- Experiment with different angles: The Helicopter position can be adjusted and modified in different ways to suit your preferences. Try experimenting with different angles, such as adjusting the height of your partner’s hips or changing the position of your legs.
- Focus on clitoral stimulation: Since deep penetration isn’t really possible in this position, focus on clitoral stimulation instead. You can use your hands, a vibrator, or even ask your partner to help stimulate your clitoris while he penetrates you.
With these tips, you and your partner can work together to master the Helicopter position and enjoy the many benefits it has to offer.
Tips and tricks to spice up the experience
Here are 3 ways to spice up the Helicopter position:
- Try a mirror: Positioning a mirror near the bed or surface where you’re practicing the Helicopter position can be incredibly erotic. Watching yourselves move in the position can be an incredible turn-on and can add to the intensity of the experience.
- Incorporate bondage: Use bondage tape, handcuffs, or a blindfold to add a new level of excitement and sensory deprivation to the experience. This can help you feel more vulnerable and heighten your other senses, making the Helicopter sex position even more intense.
- Engage in dirty talk: Use dirty talk to heighten the sexual tension and create a more intimate experience. Expressing your desires and fantasies can help you feel more connected to your partner and make the Helicopter sex position even more exciting.
Health and safety considerations
While the Helicopter sex position offers numerous benefits and allows for more control and customization, it’s essential to consider the physical, emotional, and safety considerations that come with this position.
- Protect your joints: This position puts a lot of strain on your joints, particularly the elbows, knees, and wrists. Ensure that these joints are properly supported and padded to prevent injury.
- Disorientation: Due to the spinning motion of this position, some people may experience dizziness or disorientation. Take things slowly and communicate with your partner to avoid any unwanted physical effects.
- Injury to the penis: The person penetrating in the Helicopter position should be cautious of any sudden movements or overextension of their penis, which can lead to injury to the suspensory ligaments or other tissue.
- Body Confidence: Because the Helicopter position is a physically demanding and potentially challenging position, it can be emotionally challenging for some individuals, particularly those who are self-conscious about their bodies. Communicate openly and positively about body image and ensure that both partners feel comfortable and confident during sex.
- Fear of Falling: Fear of falling can be a significant emotional concern for both partners, particularly if they are trying the Helicopter position for the first time. This fear can lead to anxiety and reduced pleasure during sex, so it’s essential to ensure that the supports and surfaces used are secure and stable.
- Power Imbalances: The Helicopter position can create power imbalances between partners, particularly if the penetrating partner is the one holding the other partner up. Ensure that both partners feel comfortable and safe in their roles, and to discuss any concerns or issues that arise.
- Surface stability: Ensure that the surface you are using is stable and won’t tip or collapse under the weight of both partners. A sudden fall or collapse could result in injury to one or both partners.
- Balancing technique: Use caution and proper technique when attempting to balance in the Helicopter position. A misstep or loss of balance could result in a fall and serious injury.
- Caution with thrusting: Be cautious with thrusting and ensure that your partner is comfortable with the speed and depth of penetration. A sudden or forceful thrust could result in injury to either partner. Slow and gentle movements are recommended, especially for beginners.
Variations of Helicopter position
The Helicopter position can be varied in several ways to create new and exciting experiences for both partners. Some common modifications of Helicopter sex position include:
- The Reverse Helicopter: In this variation, the partner on top faces away from their partner, with their legs straddling their partner’s hips. This variation offers a different angle of penetration and allows for more intimacy with kissing and touching.
- The Inverted Helicopter: In this variation, the partner on the bottom raises their legs into the air, with their feet resting on the partner’s shoulders. This variation allows for deeper penetration and can be especially pleasurable for the partner on the bottom.
- The Double Helicopter: In this variation, both partners raise their legs into the air and wrap their legs around each other. This position can be challenging to maintain, but it allows for deep penetration and a feeling of being completely intertwined.
It is important to communicate with your partner about what feels good and what modifications work best for both of you.
Similar sex positions to try
- Magic carpet
1. Why is this sex position called Helicopter?
The Helicopter sex position is named for the way the penetrating partner’s body is positioned during the act, which resembles the rotor blades of a helicopter. In this position, the penetrating partner lies flat on their back with their legs lifted and spread apart, while the receiving partner straddles them and leans forward, holding onto the penetrating partner’s legs for balance. The resulting image resembles a helicopter in flight, hence the name.
2. Is Helicopter sex position safe during pregnancy?
It is not recommended to attempt the Helicopter sex position during pregnancy. The position places a significant strain on the lower back and requires a great deal of balance and core strength, which can be challenging and uncomfortable for many pregnant individuals.
Pregnancy also affects the body’s center of gravity, making it more challenging to maintain balance and stability in positions that require a significant shift in weight, such as the Helicopter position. Attempting this position could result in a fall or other injury, which could be particularly dangerous during pregnancy.
Additionally, some pregnant individuals may experience pain or discomfort during sex, particularly in positions that place pressure on the abdomen or lower back. It’s essential to listen to your body and avoid any positions that cause discomfort or pain.
During pregnancy, it is important to be mindful of positions that may be uncomfortable or pose a risk to the growing fetus. And if you’re feeling any kind of discomfort during Helicopter, consult with a doctor to ensure that the sexual activity is safe for you and your baby.
3. Can you get pregnant in Helicopter sex position?
Yes, pregnancy is possible in the Helicopter sex position or any other sexual position. Pregnancy occurs when sperm fertilizes an egg, and this can happen regardless of the sexual position.
You can use contraception if you do not wish to become pregnant.
- Zane, Zachary. “The Helicopter Sex Position Is Only for the Most Sexually Adventurous.” Men’s Health, 5 Apr. 2021, https://www.menshealth.com/sex-women/a36028751/helicopter-sex-position/.
- Krejčová, Lucie. “Kamasutra in Practice: The Use of Sexual Positions in the Czech Population and Their Association With Female Coital Orgasm Potential.” OUP Academic, 1 Dec. 2020, https://academic.oup.com/smoa/article/8/4/767/6956661.
- “Factors Associated with Sexual Practices and Positions Performed by Pregnant Women: A Cross-Sectional Study.” Submissão de Manuscritos Sobre o Periódico Corpo Editorial Instruções Aos Autores Contato, http://www.scielo.br/j/reben/a/hHJvpVBkvvygmJPj9PM6zwt/. Accessed 17 Feb. 2023.
- Fiaveh, D. Y., & Okyerefo, M. P. (2019). Femininity, Sexual Positions and Choice. Sexualities, 22(1–2), 131–147. https://doi.org/10.1177/1363460716677281
- Ashley Laderer, John. “The Helicopter Sex Position Involves a Unique Angle of Entry — Here’s How to Try It.” Insider, 23 Sept. 2021, https://www.insider.com/guides/health/sex-relationships/helicopter-sex-position.