Ambiamory is a sexual orientation that falls within the spectrum of ethical non-monogamy, which means that a person may be open to the idea of having multiple romantic and/or sexual relationships at the same time, as long as all parties involved give their informed and enthusiastic consent. Ambiamory is characterized by a fluidity in relationship styles, as the person may feel equally satisfied and fulfilled by monogamous or non-monogamous relationships, depending on the circumstances and the people involved.
Ambiamorous individuals may also identify as polyamorous, meaning that they are open to having multiple romantic relationships, or as solo poly, meaning that they prioritize their independence and autonomy while still having intimate connections with others.
Ambiamory pronunciation: / am-bee-am-uh-ree /
The term ambiamory is a relatively new concept that has emerged within the polyamorous and non-monogamous communities in the 21st century. The prefix ambi- comes from the Latin word for “both” or “around”, and reflects the idea that ambiamorous individuals can move fluidly between different relationship styles without feeling restricted or limited. The term has gained popularity as a way to describe the experience of people who feel comfortable with both monogamous and non-monogamous relationships, and who reject the notion that they have to choose one over the other.
Additional information about Ambiamory
- Ambiamory challenges the cultural assumption that monogamy is the only acceptable or healthy relationship style, and recognizes that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to love and intimacy.
- Ambiamory is part of a broader movement towards ethical non-monogamy, which seeks to challenge the dominant narratives around love, sex, and relationships, and to promote diversity, inclusivity, and consent.
- Ambiamorous individuals may face stigma and discrimination from both monogamous and non-monogamous communities, as they may be seen as indecisive, commitment-phobic, or untrustworthy.
- Ambiamory is not the same as being promiscuous, as it involves intentional and ethical relationships that prioritize communication, consent, and respect.
- Ambiamorous individuals may need to develop a high level of self-awareness, self-compassion, and boundary-setting skills in order to navigate the complexities and challenges of multiple relationships.
Explore other interesting terms: